Low H, low DCR PS chokes

Design and use of Chokes for PS, anode and filament use.
Brian Clark

Low H, low DCR PS chokes

Post by Brian Clark »

Hi Dave, Jeff Medwin has been advocating the use of the low H, low DCR Triad C-40X, 320mH, 10ohms choke and claiming that the smaller core is an advantage compared to Hammond 600mH, 11ohms for L-C-L-C. Have you, or anyone else here, experimented along these lines?
In other words, should I be asking you to wind some Low H, low DCR nickel-core L2s for my next amp build? :wink:

Brian.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

I personally have not played with the concept, but could see the possible benefit for a wide bandwidth small L input filter. Looking at the second choke, i cannot see the benefit of using such small values.

It is interesting to note that most multi-hy PS chokes provide minimal impedance to high frequency content, and by the nature of the beast, a few hundred mhy choke will still be a choke up near the top of the audio band and will provide a higher impedance at higher frequenci

dave
Brian Clark

Post by Brian Clark »

Interestingly 320mH/10R - 50uF - 320mH/10R - 50uF looks really good in PSUD.
Since I build my all single-valvers with "WE Connection" capacitative divider for increased PSRR I'm going to see if I can get away with just ONE section for my next 801 amp :)

Brian.