boxed up autoformer

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

dave slagle

boxed up autoformer

Post by dave slagle »

comments?

edit...

OK I hated the original pictures. These have more of the feel.
Attachments
AVC back web.jpg
AVC back web.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
AVC detail web.jpg
AVC detail web.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
AVC front Web.jpg
AVC front Web.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 6536 times
Last edited by dave slagle on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Wow Dave, folks do that stuff with vintage cars and bikes don't they? Pristine on the inside and mechanically but period patina on the outside. Looks rather cool :!: Wish I had the guts to try something along those lines.

-- Andrew
piotr_grzesik

Post by piotr_grzesik »

I really like that.

:mrgreen:
Too much stuff and not enough time!
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

Thanks guys.

as you can see I uploaded new pics that are more representative of the looks. This was just a first Go around and i'll do a few more different finish types to get a feel for the materials. Bolts on the next one will have square heads that i'll let my 7 year old beat on with a hammer for a few days to soften the edges a bit.

Knobs are always a problem. Finding 5 knobs that have the right feel can cost a huge amount of money. The knobs I used have the right shapes, but the difference between the finishes really bothers me. If anybody knows of a stash of vintage knobs please let me know.

dave
shinebox

Post by shinebox »

Very cool!

Seeing it brought back a childhood memory, when I dreamed of having a car that was a bit battered, rusty and unsporty looking but was souped up such that it could see off ferraris and the like at traffic lights....

Just need some matching amps now....
gallon

Post by gallon »

Some touchup with a stick welder might work here.

Also those old time jeweled lenses for pilot lights.

Looks great!
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

hey gary.... Welcome and sorry for whacking you.

The goal here was an easy to make and assemble box that doesn't look like a cheap hammond piece of crap. I started looking at front panel express but Jeffrey already has that one covered quite nicely :-)

I thought the rust pattern was cool on the steel but the future ones will be handled differently.

dave