Emia Manual or diy?

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

pboser

Emia Manual or diy?

Post by pboser »

Hope you're all doing well during this mess. (Messes, actually.)

I think I'm ready to get into the autoformer volume control world. I have been considering a diy project, and have been dilly-dallying about how much to spend, and how much work to set myself up for.

But I recently came across an Emia item for sale. I found a listing for a similar or same item on Audiogon - I haven't posted enough here so I can't link it.
From the photos there I can't tell if it uses the same switches/modules that are available on the Intact page.

I'll get to the point - should I have any concerns about the durability of the switches involved in the Emia Manual volume control? The seller mentions a small problem with one of the switches - it doesn't seem like a big deal, but if it's indicative of a risk I will think about avoiding it.

I could instead go for the new Blore Edwards module(s) for a diy build, but it probably won't look as finished as the Emia. I also have two of these big Russian 35-step dual switches (see attached), so I could use one or two of these with the $400 AVC instead. At least these switches give plenty of assembly and soldering room!

Sorry for dumping all my thought process on you. I'm not looking for you to decide for me, but any relevant info you can provide will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance, and be well,
Pete Boser
Attachments
IMG_5433 small.jpg
IMG_5433 small.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
dave slagle

Re: Emia Manual or diy?

Post by dave slagle »

hey pete,
pboser wrote: But I recently came across an Emia item for sale. I found a listing for a similar or same item on Audiogon - I haven't posted enough here so I can't link it.
From the photos there I can't tell if it uses the same switches/modules that are available on the Intact page.
that unit is no longer available and was a very early attempt at a "budget" unit. Sonically it is the same as the rest of the autoformers and the only difference is the switch quality and presentation.

I'll get to the point - should I have any concerns about the durability of the switches involved in the Emia Manual volume control? The seller mentions a small problem with one of the switches - it doesn't seem like a big deal, but if it's indicative of a risk I will think about avoiding it.
switches are mechanical things and you get what you pay for. The idea that the unit has been operated in a manner that says it can be "pushed past its stop" is of slight concern to me. Since I have yet to experience that particular situation, I do not know if it is indicative of possible problems down the road.
I could instead go for the new Blore Edwards module(s) for a diy build, but it probably won't look as finished as the Emia.
the Blore Edwards is a quality switch with a nice feel and a metal shaft.
I also have two of these big Russian 35-step dual switches (see attached), so I could use one or two of these with the $400 AVC instead. At least these switches give plenty of assembly and soldering room!
the 28 position units wired to the switch would be your best bet if you are comfortable soldering and the switch layout does look really DIY friendly. Just be sure to pay attention to the switch rotation from the front as you wire it from the back. It seems half the people who roll their own (my self included) get the rotation backwards on the first attempt.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
pboser

Post by pboser »

Hey Dave,
Thanks - that's exactly the information I needed. I guess I'll be trading the prestige of an Emia product (now that you say it was a "budget" item it's tainted anyway ;-)) for the prestige of a DIY Slagleformer, probably in some kind of a repurposed wooden box with my uneven holes in it.
Now I just have to figure out how much soldering I want to do. I'll be back to you soon.
Thanks again,
Pete