avc wiring

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

oceanobsession

avc wiring

Post by oceanobsession »

Hi dave , im not using an input selector switch , so the flying lead from each
transformer goes to the phono plugs , rh and lh , other flying lead is earth do
you keep the earths separate , I have read this from your page ,

Thats all there is to it! Pay close attention to the switch rotation. When the switch is rotated all the way counterclockwise (off) this is where the ground connection goes,

is this because the biggest attenuation may still be heard from the speakers so you wire no 1 to earth

phil.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

you can keep the grounds separate for ease of wiring. Typically the grounds are all connected together at the RCA jacks anyways.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
androxylo

Basic AVC new product proposal

Post by androxylo »

Hi! First time here, so don't want to start a topic, just adding here...

Essentially I think that very few people actually need 14 steps AVC from 0 to -42 dB 3 dB each.

Those with excessive power in line (high gain) need 1st step to be like -10 dB and then 12 more steps to -42 with 2.6 dB steps each. Those with not much extra gain would rather prefer 13 steps 2.6 each to -34 dB.

My case is the 1st, I listen most of the time at 10 am in my Sys pot. Why do I ever need -3 or -6 dB?
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

I have had people who were well aware of the range they need specify a smaller (21dB) range of 1.5dB steps and things are great until a new component comes into their system and changes the gain structure by 10dB.

as they are now many find the first click at -42dB to be too loud for background or late night listening. There are three options if this is the case. specify a custom taper, reduce the overall gain in your system, or move to a 23 or 47 position version that allows for an additional 10dB of attenuation.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com