discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

Enochrome

Post by Enochrome »

Want to dive into autoformers but have some questions.

Why are the steps larger at the end? Unless it does not take a lot of steps to get loud, doesn't it make more sense to have smaller steps when in the area of fine tuning the exact volume? Isn't it in most volume controls that most of the initial steps too low so it would make sense to have larger steps in that area?

Are 23 steps enough for headphone use?

Thanks
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

The steps *can* be placed anywhere they need to be and an attempt at a one size fits all device gets expensive quickly.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
Enochrome

Post by Enochrome »

dave slagle wrote:The steps *can* be placed anywhere they need to be and an attempt at a one size fits all device gets expensive quickly.

dave
Thanks Dave!

I will give it a go and order from the Intact site the $350 module. I will pay and then let you know what the parameters of steps to decibels in relation to the parameters of source/amp/speakers. I am not looking to find a perfect solution just something that can be flexible with a few items.

I guess my main use is with my Music Reference RM-10 mkii which has 35db of gain (sometimes I think that is too much) and a 100k input, so that is covered.

The other concern was the headphones but it is not a "make it or break it" issue, just thought it would be nice to use that cool aspect of autoformers.

Another aspect of your AVC's that I like is no power requirement. I have been toying with the idea of having an "off the grid" property, but not sacrifice the music set up :wink: How about a challenge of the most low powered hifi set up?! :lol: Battery powered sources and someone who can come with an awesome 12 or 18v tube amp (i'm sure there out there)

Cheers and thanks again for responding,
Robert
Enochrome

Post by Enochrome »

What is the diameter of the shafts on the $350 dual modules? I'd like to order some knobs for the modules I just ordered.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

they are 1/4"

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com