What AVC is better quality?

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

audioaardvark

What AVC is better quality?

Post by audioaardvark »

Hello I'm thinking of buying the $200 avc + $20 switch or the $350 modules.

I'm wondering if one is better quality than the other.

Regards,

Greg
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

they are essentially the same inits electrically with the only difference being the switches and ease of assembly. I won't lie and say the $200 units are a breeze to wire and in fact they are a real PITA. I will bet that about 1/2 of the $200 units I have sold are sitting partially wired on a shelf which is why the modules were developed.

If you are patient, organized and comfortable soldering and routing wires the $200 units should only take an hour to wire to the switch but as many have found out that hour can turn into hours and then they hit the shelf for eternity.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
audioaardvark

Post by audioaardvark »

Thanks for your reply Dave. It sure sounds like the module is the easy way to go. Are the $200 dollar AVC's ending up on the shelf due to damage or are customers giving up due to difficulty.

Greg
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

giving up... the biggest problem always seems to be the first one is always wired backwards so fully CCW is full volume rather than off.

dvae
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
audioaardvark

Post by audioaardvark »

Awesome information Dave, thank you. I have decided to go with the modules as I think they are more to my liking. Do I need pay pal or can I use my mastercard?

Greg
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

oops sorry for the late reply.

you can use either at the link below and the buy it now takes you to paypal where you can use a credit card.

I can also take a CC by phone if that is easier.

http://www.intactaudio.com/atten.html

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
audioaardvark

Post by audioaardvark »

Thanks for your reply Dave, you have been very helpful. I have recently set up payment through a friends pay pal account. I have decided to go with you modules.

Regards,

Greg
Gable

Post by Gable »

I have the $200 avc's and wired it up pretty easily and quickly.

Now, I did screw up and soldered half of the left channel backwards initially, but that was because I turned the soldering iron on at whisky number 3. It was a quick and easy correction, and ultimately wiring the avc's wasn't too terribly difficult at all.

For $200 and a little bit of your time, this has to be the best deal in hifi audio out there. The value is tremendous.

Cheers,
Gable