Autoformer Module gain range

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

drh

Autoformer Module gain range

Post by drh »

Dave
I sent you a more detailed message yesterday but was wondering if the autoformer modules (designed with help from Bent Audio) can be purchased with a wider gain range say from -50 to plus 3 or plus 6? :?:
drh

Post by drh »

Dave:

I just purchased a pair of the autoformer modules. When I receive them I am going to finish the build on my passive preamp and test out the performance in my system.

I will keep you up to date on the results but I am still interested in a slightly wider gain range autoformer and of course it should be an Intact product.

drh
Daniel

Re: Autoformer Module gain range

Post by Daniel »

drh wrote:gain range say from -50 to plus 3 or plus 6? :?:
Hi!
That's quite a range. Out of curiousity, are you using them with various sources and power amps that have very different gain levels or do you change from ultra low to ultra blasting listening levels depending on music/time/gusto/.... ?
drh

Re: Autoformer Module gain range

Post by drh »

Daniel wrote:
drh wrote:gain range say from -50 to plus 3 or plus 6? :?:
Hi!
That's quite a range. Out of curiousity, are you using them with various sources and power amps that have very different gain levels or do you change from ultra low to ultra blasting listening levels depending on music/time/gusto/.... ?

No. I am creating a headphone capability in my autoformer preamp for a Hifiman HE6 which needs the help of extra gain. The sources used are quite capable of sufficient voltage output to drive the system to ear bleeding levels. The question arose because of the headphones.

Dave's Emia headphone amp is quite good as you may have heard and it is based on his autoformers.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

Hey,

Sorry to be absent... I was logged out and didn't see the replies.

The wider range is being covered in the upcoming 47 step unit that will go from -52 to +5 in 1.25dB steps with seamless transition into gain. Unfortunately they will be a fair bit more than the modules.

As for gain and headphone use.... this may be a problem since as you use the autoformers for gain the source impedance goes up which may be a problem for headphones.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
drh

Post by drh »

I look forward to the arrival of the new autoformer. I have just received the module pair and am going to be installing them in the case I am building for them over the next little while. I will send pictures when finished.

While I am enjoying them, I will save for the new product.

Thanks for the update and best wishes

drh