Newbie questions on multi-channel volume control

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

zydeco

Newbie questions on multi-channel volume control

Post by zydeco »

I’m after some help in planning a volume control set-up. My system is a 3-way active stereo system built around a purpose built computer that performs cross-over duties in the digital domain. The master volume is controlled via the playback software but – with highly efficient horn speakers – I’ve got a little too much gain in the system so the digital attenuation is often about 30 to 40dB. The ideal solution looks to be set-up of a 6-channel volume control after d/a conversion but this is well-beyond my capabilities and I don't know anyone who could progress. I’m considering, then, using 3 of the stereo auto-former modules ($350) to set a fixed attenuation of the sub / bass / mid-high channels and then use the digital volume control to lower the overall volume during playback as required (with this involving less resolution loss.) My first question is whether this is a good solution to the problem (over, say, fixed in-line attenuators such as those from Rothwell or going the full hog of a multi-channel volume control or a set of fixed step-down transformers). And, if so, then it’d be good to get some direction as to a suitable chassis [that fits into a hi-fi setting] as well as wiring etc.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

with the 1.25dB resolution and up to 42dB of total attenuation the autoformers should work perfectly to level match and set a maximum volume level then a small amount of overall digital attenuation will let you adjust the overall level.

The wiring for this arrangement should be pretty straightforward. A more costly approach would be using the remote modules which could be adjusted manually on the unit to adjust the levels then a single remote could adjust the overall level of all the channels together.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com