Problem with Autoformer Modules

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

niclaspa

Problem with Autoformer Modules

Post by niclaspa »

I bought a couple of autoformer modules for my line stage (schematic attached). Before, I was using a 47k resistive attenuator. I replaced it with the autoformers. The first problem is that it picks up a tiny bit of hum. I guess that I could cure that with some mu-metal shielding.

Worse is that when I turn the switches on the attenuators, there are loud pops and swooshes. Also, sometimes the swooshes appear without turning the autoformers. Some kind of self-oscillation? I have been trying to use two different tube phone stages before the line stage, but with the same result.

I tried to put the autoformers on the output of the line stage. No pops and swooshes, but the first step above silent is pretty loud! Sure, I can reduce the sensitivity with a couple of resistors on the input of the stage, but I am not sure what I have gained compared to the resistive attenuator.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Attachments
Line stage schematic
Line stage schematic
linestage.png (8.56 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

Hey,

The hum suggests a bit of shielding is needed. The clicks and pops when switching is either a bad switch or DC on the switch. The swooshing sounds like an oscillation and a 100 ohm resistor at the grid pin of the D3A might help.

I think the real question here is why the d3a for a linestage? If when you place the autoformer at the output your first click (-42db) is too loud, it means you are already attenuation by a ratio of 100:1. This suggests you have way too much gain considering the d3a+4.5:1 stepdown nets you a gain of around 17.

have you tried the autoformers as a passive?

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
Willem

Post by Willem »

The clicks and pops on the attenuator are most likely due to DC buildup on the input grid of the tube due to the lack of a grid leak resistor. If the switch is of the non shorting type, the resulting open grid will result in an impulse being output between each switch position.
docali

Post by docali »

Hello!

The pops are definately related to the D3a operating point shifts. If I remeber well you can read something about this in this forum. I would suggest to NOT use an AVC driving the grid of this tube. Also this tube has in my opinion too less headroom for a line stage.

BR!
Docali
docali

Post by docali »

You should read here about this issues:

[url]http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40[/url]