Questions on autoformer

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

crazy bill the eel killer

Questions on autoformer

Post by crazy bill the eel killer »

Hello Dave,
Just purchased an autoformer module for use in an integrated diy amp. Was using a PEC carbon pot, but I want to try the autoformer route. Which begs a couple of questions.

1). the amp will be a ( all stages triode strapped ) ef86-el84 SE. Maybe RC coupled, but probably CCS loaded on the EF86. One large chassis. Obviously, I've got a lot of iron on this thing ( PS to be CLCLC for the EL84, then RC coupled OD3 to the EF86 ), and I'm a little concerned about noise. What is the best way to shield the autoformers from induced hum. My initial thinking is to build the autoformer modules into a completely mu-metal shielded box in the front of the chassis. Single input ( vinyl only ). But I'm pretty new at this stuff, so I'm open to suggestions. Is this the best way to go, or overkill, or is there a better way. ( Actually, overkill is OK if it will get the job done ).

Appreciate any advice you can offer. If building a separate box for the autoformers is the better way to go for ultimate sonics and lowest noise, I will go that route, but I will really would like to keep a single box for the project.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cheers, Crazy Bill

Sorry Dave,
Must be braindead at this late hour.

Second question:

I like BIG volume control knobs. I know w/ the two pot arrangement on this module I will be limited to the size of the knobs, but my concern is about the weight of the knobs.

I will DIY the knobs as large as possible given the spacing on the modules ( ( either black walnut or birds-eye maple ( Both in house ) ), but I wonder about the switches used and whether the weight of large diameter knobs on the shaft will be problematic.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers, Crazy Bill
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

weight shouldn't be a problem. just be sure to secure them with foam or something if you ever ship the unit.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com

Hello Dave,
Built two prototyped versions to compare.
First one is listed above, the second is an IT coupled 6922-El84 amp. I'm presently leaning towards the IT coupled version. With both I used my 100K PEG pot.
Which begs the following.
Since your autoformer modules are replacing the 100K pot, can I ditch the grid stop on the 6922. I/m hoping the bandwith limitations on the autoformer will be a sufficient to stop the 6922 from oscillating.

thanks, Bill
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

hey,

you can try it and see.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com