Alps Versus AVC. Detail vs Musicality.

discussion of magnetic volume control design for both line and speaker levels.

phinx

Alps Versus AVC. Detail vs Musicality.

Post by phinx »

Hey Guys.

Just ordered a pair of Autoformer Modules today to replace my Alps Black Beauty which has been my passive pre-amp for the last 20 years or so. While reading over the posts here I am most interested in the comments of Mantisory from a few years ago regarding the level of detail he heard from Dave's AVC Modules compared to a Nagra PL-L pre-amp. So, while he clearly preferred the musicality of the Autoformer Modules he wanted to know if there was a way to have that cake as well as getting the benefit of some of the detail he heard from the Nagra. The reason I am curious about this is that I have surrounded the Alps pot, over the last number of years, with very "detail sounding" solid core silver wire. But I have been wondering lately if I have created a "detail monster" at the expense of a lack of musical involvement. So, I am curious to see if, as was proposed back then by Beeah, more detail appeared from Mantisory's AVCs while retaining the PRAT after an extended number of hours of use or what I might expect from my "silver wire dominated" system when it gets the AVCs in line. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any input would be appreciated. Twiddling thumbs --- and loving the detail --- 'till they arrive : Jim.