15E and plate curves

your own private (or public place) to document whatever.
lochness

15E and plate curves

Post by lochness »

um...hi first post here.
I've been looking for the plate curves of the 15E for a while but haven't come up with anything. Asked on DIY Audio on how to make my own and was directed here as someone may have already made them (or found them). I was just wondering if that was true since it would save me time and effort.

Also if anyone here has used this tube before I would love to hear what you thought of it or if it has any odd quirks.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

hey,

i used the 15E to drive a GM70 for one of the NY noise shows. I do not have any info on them other than with like 600V and 5V bias they drew 20ma.

I have traced the curves of a couple tubes and it is bit tedious, but not impossible. It takes about an hour to get a nice set I use a $200 USB scope for the data capture and excel to manipulate the data into a form that can be imported into curve captor to create a model. then spice will print out a nice set of interpolated curves.

all you really need to capture the data is a LV and a HV linear supply and patience.

dave
lochness

Post by lochness »

Thanks. I do have some equipment based questions though.

Right now my test equipment consists of a cheapo multimeter and a really old and flakey oscilloscope (you usually have to bang it a few times for the picture to work...for something I found left in my garage I can't complain).
Which brand/model of usb oscilloscope would you suggest?
What other test equipment would you suggest having?

Cost is a bit of an issue for me as I'm a poor college student who spends way to much money on beer. So would any equipment I need be obtainable used or off of a government liquidation site?

Edit: Also I this is all of the information I could find on the 15E

Mu=25
plate dissipation = 20W
filament = 5.5v@4.2a
max voltage = 2Kv (for MOST applications it can be WELL over that for certain tasks apparently)
max current = 63ma

also so measurements some guy Jeffrey made: (Can't remember where I found them exactly but when I do I'll happily provide a link)
Rp @ 10ma = 17k3
Rp @ 20ma = 13k7
Rp @ 30ma = 12k
Rp @ 40ma = 10k9

Seems everyone just uses the 3C24/25T curves...which Eimac didn't make easy to read...