RIAA and iRIAA accuraccy in the real and simmed world.

the road not taken.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I did some tweaking at the weekend as I had a 'loan' of some friendly ears, so we could discuss changes. In my system, we both preferred the extra time constant, however, and this is a big however, we ended up, and both preferred, about half the of the prescribed resistance.

I will work out where this actually puts the 4th time constant and report back.

With the full amount there was way too much surface noise and other hash breaking through, without it, the sound seemed to lack a bit of sparkle.

Hope this helps.

-- Andrew
Naz

Post by Naz »

Hey Andrew,

So far I also favour some HF compensation and get the feeling that it could be quite aggressive provided it does not affect inband accuracy (up to 20kHz) appreciably.

I have opted for a standard RIAA in my LCR Phono up to about 20kHz but opted to allow some compensation beyond. First impressions are that it sounds very "right" but I still have a way to go fine tuning by ear. I strongly suspect that I will end up incorporating one or more slightly tunable elements as I have in the past to get the most out of innacurate recordings.

Naz
EvanWisymn

RIAA and iRIAA accuraccy in the real and simmed world

Post by EvanWisymn »

The gain is pretty high already. I was forced to lower the gain in my gear but if you want to tune up the gain a bit you must these resistors:

QSXM2
pre amp, A = R50/R51 1, change R50, increase it. Double the gain = 6 dB
RIAA amp Change R93, don't change the other resistors. Decreasing R93 = increased gain.

QSXM3, Change R6 and R4, lower the value = increase the gain