Zenith

the road not taken.
dave slagle

Zenith

Post by dave slagle »

I have been setting cantilevers with pre-mouted diamonds for around 7 years now and the most difficult thing I found is visually confirming azimuth on the more exotic profiles. The front view makes it somewhat clear but from the top down they always seemed to look crooked. I ultimately attributed this to Zenith error and quietly held my tongue since the spec on Zenith from 2 of the big three manufacturers is ±5° and all of my samples were well within spec. FWIW, the drawings from the third does not provide a tolerance or Zenith specification at all for that matter.

Given the sensitive nature of this I have been reluctant to discuss this publicly out of total fear of what may be hiding in the shadows of this topic but Fremer has let the cat out of the bag so to speak so game on!

Lets start with the irony found in the lead in picture. This goes directly to the point I was truing to make 11 years ago in this blog post. know your angles

The idea I was trying to get across was how difficult accurate visual inspection can be and the importance of parallax. I will now admit I was a bit naive back then about the accuracy of cartridge manufacturing process. The image below is of new importance for this exact reason.

Somehow my post caught the analog planet radar and I was pointed to this:
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/an ... -can-worms

where I found this image

I'll let the reader decide on the merits from reading both posts but I do see a touch of snark on both sides and complete agreement that parallax matters if you want correct numbers.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com