Canning Naked SUT's

the road not taken.
dave slagle

Canning Naked SUT's

Post by dave slagle »

I have sourced a bunch of cans suitable for an initial shield of the naked SUT's and here is my basic procedure for using them.

First mark two spots for the left and right channels to exit.

Mumetal is really tough to drill so I grind two semicircles to catch the grommet that the wires will pass through.

I use a piece of 1/16" rubberized cork to "float" the SUT's up off the bottom of the mumetal cans.

Then I center and line up the SUT's in the cans to get ready for the wax.

I use beeswax and the goal here is to just secure the transformer in place and NOT to wax impregnate it. By simply pouring the wax over the transformer it will not have time to soak into the windings. I find that a 50% fill is sufficient.

when the wax is partially solid, I use a clamp to hold it down and make sure the transformers to not protrude above the edge of the cans.

after everything is cool I then solder the cans together in three spots and attach a ground wire between the grommets. IT does take a fair bit of heat to get the solder to flow and another option is to adhere the cans together with conductive adhesive backed copper foil tape.

Last edited by dave slagle on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
popthropologist

Post by popthropologist »

I received mine today—it looks great!

I should get my case in a week or so, and then I’ll post about the construction.