Solid state LCR phono

the road not taken.
ludcam2

Solid state LCR phono

Post by ludcam2 »

OK, I know--blasphemy.

Has anyone thought about what the requirements are to design a solid state LCR phono. Seems like getting the gain, the ability to drive the lower impedance filters etc. should be relatively straightforward.

I'd be interested in giving this a try, but not sure where to start on design.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

The LCR filters are a T network of a given impedance and pretty benign in nature so just make sure your circuitry is happy dicing the impedace.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
ludcam2

SS LCR

Post by ludcam2 »

I'm getting some very good sims with a simple SS gain stage in front and in back of a "Tango" 600ohm LCR loaded with a 10K shunt resistor after the filter.

The SS stages are happy with the load, but only use a + rail, so need output cap. If the cap is big enough, bass is fine.

Since it is low voltage, I don't think the cap size will make a huge difference in sound.

I wonder if another idea would be to do the 1.5K filter 2uf C1 and 50n C2 if only to make the cap values easier to obtain

I've not given any thought to inductively coupling the 1st gain stage to the LCR...

Dave, am I thinking about this the right way? It seems like a fun, simple and (relatively) inexpensive way to implement the LCR concept

Oh well, us neophytes have to start somewhere!
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

spice is wonderful for just what you are doing. it lets you get really close and then after it is built you can use it to tweak values to get the simmed and measured responses to match.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com