6K ot's for steves new amp.

stephie's place

Moderator: sbench

dave slagle

6K ot's for steves new amp.

Post by dave slagle »

here is some data from the first cut at an output for steve. this one is a bit different since it will be loading a tetrode with some feedback.

dave
Attachments
inductance vs. current plots.  the target L was 40hy @ 40ma.  note the red traces are done at 3 different excitations.
inductance vs. current plots. the target L was 40hy @ 40ma. note the red traces are done at 3 different excitations.
image001.gif (9.05 KiB) Viewed 11806 times
frequency response plots for various source impedances into an 8r load.  Also plots for tango XE-60-5 and another commercial 2K5 unit.
frequency response plots for various source impedances into an 8r load. Also plots for tango XE-60-5 and another commercial 2K5 unit.
image001.jpg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 11828 times
sbench

Post by sbench »

Looks great. Looks like .004 to .006 gap range will fit the application perfectly. Interestingly the intent here is for a small "portable" amp.I intend to run it from a 65 watt wall wart and 4 switch mode power supplies. The SMPS are built and tested. At this point, I'm trying a couple different applications to test their sound quality.

Steve
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

do you want me ot try a version with a few more tuns on the primary to get your needed 40hy's and be a bit before the Knee?

also the ratio is 27:1 which works out to 5K83

dave
sbench

Post by sbench »

Hmmm. Decisions-decisions. The 40Hy isn't too critical since with the plate to plate feedback I end up with being only down a few tenths dB at 10Hz, but the extra turns might be nice.

Yeah, lets go for it.

Steve
sbench

Post by sbench »

Tried a bunch of things on this amp. Using it with switch mode power supplies and a wall wart. The whole thing is small and light. Down side: there's a little beating from the supplies. This would be great given a large box, but I put it in a really small box (did I mention the thing is small and light?). At some point I'll post the PS schematic. Here's the amp schematic.Overall VERY nice articulation within it's range. (Produces only 3+ watts). The 2E24 DHP sounds pretty darned good. Surprising.
Attachments
2e24sch.gif
2e24sch.gif (9.95 KiB) Viewed 11356 times