My first LR RIAA

stephie's place

Moderator: sbench

linn

My first LR RIAA

Post by linn »

Hi, Steve
I was impressed by your's phono LR preamp and now trying to make it with D3a, Lundahl LL1660 10 mA and LL4611 chokes. But the result isn't good, 50 hz is only 8db higher than 1khz. Please inform about methodic of adjusting correct points of RIAA with R 1, 4 and R 2, 8 and R 12.

Many thanks!
Linn
jeanlucdemarc

Post by jeanlucdemarc »

Did you manage to fix your LR phono from sbench? Im on project now with sowter...
alfijan

Post by alfijan »

Hi all,

Is there anyone ho has any experience with building SB LR RIAA at all!?
I'd really like to hear the experiences of people who've already been through this.

Any feedback, comments, impressions...?
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

a handful of people built it off of stephies boards but that is ancient history. I have heard it and it is a good design.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
alfijan

Post by alfijan »

Ok, Dave, I understand what you mean.
What I'm trying to say is that in every forum I've checked out related to this topic, I've practically only found discussions and comments mainly between Stephie and yourself.
Maybe there are other forums that I don't know about, but I wasn't able to find much info through regular search engines.
I'm passionate about this hobby, building audio equipment for myself, trying to reach the limits of high end audio.
I'm currently using a branded Jadis Premium tube RIAA, 10k+ $, and am probably going to spend another 3k+ $ on the DIY version of Stephie's design, as it seems as though it could be the real deal.
I understand that this is a very delicate solution in terms of choosing which components to use and very specific grounding.
For example, when I was building an electrostatic STAX SR009 headphone tube amp, designed by Kevin Gilmour, I was still able to find dozens of comments about people's experiences with that process, which might seem odd as those particular headphones are not a product that is massively used.
In SB LR RIAA case, I only found a couple of comments about people having issues with this process.
Regarding your comment about all of this being ancient technology, here, in Europe, this has become an extremely popular topic again during the past few years.
So, finally, is there any chance you could point me to some references, reviews and similar stuff where I could possibly gather more feedback from people who really got engaged in this specific DIY project?
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

I think the info here is just about all you will find on this design. Stephie did 10 sets of boards for it and maybe 5 were built.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
alfijan

Post by alfijan »

OK Dave,

This may sound a bit silly, but it would help a great deal if you could tell me what your opinion is on SB LR RIAA.
Do you think that it's worth the money and trouble, and from personal experience, do you recommend it as quality high end audio?
I got a couple of recommendations from my friends from Austria who claim that Thomas Mayer's D3a RIAA works like a charm.
On the other hand, Stephie's design seems almost flawless to me, from a technical point of view.
I'm also curious whether you're still in the business of producing iron for SB LR?
Along with that, Thomas has been talking in superlatives about using your ATC's instead of standard pots.
Also, your ATC will probably be my first choice in that department.
If there is any project that you know of, that would be a better solution than this one, I would be very grateful if you were to give me some kind of hint as to what that might be.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

I think stephie's LR is a great circuit. I have never built it but have heard it several times and the LR seems to give more of a laid back musical presentation than a CR or LCR. I have done about 4-5 sets of nickel for the design and have only heard the designs with my stuff in it so of course I may be a bit biased here.

Of course I am also a fan of the AVC's but again I think there is a fair amount of bias here :-) I would suggest starting wiht them and if they push you in the right musical direction then following the path down the LR or LCR road will not be hard.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
alfijan

My first LR RIAA

Post by alfijan »

Understood.
Thank you very much for your advice, your opinion is quite valuable to me having in mind all the work you've done in this field during the years.
Of course, I will commence with the preparations for building Stephie's LR unit and when I do so, I plan to post pictures on the forum successively, of the building process, so others can have an insight of the experience.
I hope it will be alright with you for me to feel free to potentially ask for some more advice along the way?
Also, I hope that it will be possible for me to order and purchase some iron from you at some point?
Cheers!
dave slagle

Re: My first LR RIAA

Post by dave slagle »

Hey

yes on all counts!

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com