Mains transformer

Design and use of the various types.
shinebox

Mains transformer

Post by shinebox »

Allo
This is just some food for thought - not sure if this has been discussed or mentioned before...

The Chimera Labs guys hypothesised in Sound Practices that much of the sounds of rectifiers was caused by them exciting resonances in the mains transformer. Seemed solid to me, and they had a nice article with some measurements backing it up and filter circuits to deal with it.

Similar theories on why eg mercury rectifiers and slow switching devices sound good.

This got me thinking about how one could design a better mains transformer - just as Dave has championed well behaved rolloffs without nasty resonances in signal path iron, what about applying the same philosophy, and winding techniques to mains iron?

So how about:

a) Primary and secondary sections wound as audio chokes to minimise nasty resonances

b) Primary/secondary as distant as possible to reduce coupling at HF - ideally separate legs of a C-core?

c) What of the airgap? Good if there's any dc on the mains, but does the resulting increased leakage inductance introduce any resonant peaks?

Any thoughts?
angleblue63

Post by angleblue63 »

Hi Dave

I was thinking 15 K : 8 with as much nickel as you could get in Surprised)

How expensive would this be ?

Thanks