Transformer Cover for Slagle amorphous core 2A3 2500:8?

Design and use of the various types.
GordonW

Transformer Cover for Slagle amorphous core 2A3 2500:8?

Post by GordonW »

Hello- this is my first post here, though I have been a long-time poster over at Audiokarma in the tube forum. In fact, it is through something that came about there, that I am posting here.

I have been given a project to build a pair of monoblock SE amps using a set of Dave's amorphous core SE 2A3 2500:8 output transformers- and the one logistical problem I have been yet able to solve, is a cover to go over the transfomers, to prevent little fingers or paws from causing damage to themselves or to the transformer. I have looked around online- and with the dimension of the transformer (about 5.5" tall, 5.25" wide and 4.5" deep), nothing I have seen has been big enough.

Is there any existing cover out there, that can fit these? My first inclination was for aluminum- as it would provide physical and electrostatic shielding, but not interfere with the magnetic field in the transformer too much. But, if there's a reason to use a different material, I would be interested greatly in hearing about that too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: the chassis I am using is 12" wide- if ti could find something that would cover the full 12" width of the chassis, and be tall and deep enough to cover the 5.5" tall and 4.5" deep output transformer- I wouldn't mind covering all of the transformers and chokes with one cover. I would want to make sure that the depth of the cover is not greater than 5" (i.e, outside dimensions of about 12" x 6" tall x 5" deep, or so)- so I can have room enough for the tubes out front (the chassis is only 8" deep front-to-back- I need 3" of that for the tube complement).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gordon.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

hey,

goodcomponent has some.

https://www.goodcomponent.com/products/ ... vers/c-79/

I have used this one before and you will need to confirm measurements.

https://www.goodcomponent.com/products/ ... -1101.html

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
GordonW

Post by GordonW »

Dave- in the cause of due caution- that cover being made of ferrous iron- that isn't going to have any detrimental magnetic effects? I'd rather go naked than lose the magic...

In any case- thanks! I somehow had overlooked that.

Regards,
Gordon.
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

If you ask me, the answer is no. The only place you need to worry about magnetic materials is around the gap and even a small amount of air space will dominate that equation. The place where magnetic materials do have an effect is in channel frames of gapped magnetics. In this situation the ferrous material is sued to support the gap so it directly bridges it which is why I use brass for all of my magnetics.

The dimension across the gap faces is around 125mm so the 150mm long dimension will leave 10mm+ from the gap to the metal which is plenty in my book. Of course you can listen to it both ways and report back.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com