better crossovers through better magnetics

Design and use of the various types.
jdg123

better crossovers through better magnetics

Post by jdg123 »

Hello out there,

I am new this morning to the forum. I only want to post here and now to give credit where credit is due.

I have been the beneficiary of many talented folks on many forums to get where I am now in my meager abilities and in my maximized home stereo. I thank you all for your contributions large and small. Dave Slagle recently made for me autoformers for my crossover project. I asked him to create ones that would be better than what I could find commercially available, gave him a schematic and although it took time to figure out what the final piece would work it worked beautifully. No surprise there.

The surprise was how well the crossovers turned out. With inductors from North Creek (George Short) and some off the shelf capacitors (Sonicap gen I) and a design long established and given to the public from Al Klappenburger (the ALK Universal), my premium grade DIY build was WAY better than the first (stock parts) kit build I did 6 years ago!

Now "WAY better" is not going to contain the feeling I want to transmit. I am not a writer of sufficient skill to do it. My apologies for that... I post this to get anyone out there with interest and skills to simply re-make a proven design with some premium parts from inspired designers. It is not a subtle difference! It is a bigger improvement than $1000 speaker cables and/or interconnects; it is transformative and it comes from inspired design. These are singularly inspired folks offering devices and designs that come from passionate pursuit of clean musical sound. I guess it is better to gather together a few good men dedicated to individual tasks than it is to form a corporation of folks who need to give in to a larger goal...maybe. This time, with input from all these guys (who may or may not have met) I stuck gold. I pass on to you this bit of luck.

Cheers to all you inspired folks out there! You have brought me some real joy.

John
Attachments
40 pounds of fun!
40 pounds of fun!
sym pair crossover.JPG (7.24 MiB) Viewed 5444 times