How Do Mixed Laminations Work?

Design and use of the various types.
Ardee

How Do Mixed Laminations Work?

Post by Ardee »

I am curious to know how a core with laminations made of different materials works. For instance, if the stack is part nickel and part M6 I would expect the nickel laminations to saturate well before the M6 ones do, and I cannot see how this would not cause linearity problems at that point.

Can someone explain the basic principle, please?
dave slagle

Post by dave slagle »

I think people can spin it either way. On one side you can get the best of both worlds, when looked at it from the other direction you get the liabilities of each. Personally I do not like the concept of operating cores in saturation.

at one point a number of years ago stephie reported that a mixture of 80% nickel lams and cobalt lams gave pretty linear inductance WRT applied signal but I'm not sure if she looked much beyond that.

dave
Get Your Fix
www.hifiheroin.com
sbench

Post by sbench »

Yes, I did look at the mix. Because of the characteristics of each, you can use a mix to compensate things. As Dave reported, one thing that is possible is to linearize the inductance with respect to signal level and/or frequency.

Thew downside, as Dave also pointed out is the saturation characteristics get strange, so that mixing material works for small signal but not necessarily as good for large signal. Then, there is the different temperature effects, so that what is perfectly compensated at one temperature may not be so at others.

Stephie <3
Tsingle999

Post by Tsingle999 »

How did the nickel co transformers sound? I have all co transformers and they are too hard sounding but clear highs. All nickel is very delicate sounding. I always thought a mix of these two might solve their problems?